COBOURG LEGION MINOR SOFTBALL ORGANIZATION RULES
(Updated May 2017)
1. O.A.S.A./Softball Canada Rules will apply except where Cobourg Legion Minor Softball Organization Inc. rule exceptions are identified.
2. Game Times:
a. Saturday morning games will start at 9:30 a.m., but not later than 9:45 a.m., with no new inning commencing after 11:15 a.m.
b. Evening games will start at 6:30p.m. and 8:15p.m. with a 15 minute grace period for player arrival.
Mite, Squirt, Peewee, Bantam, and Midget – There shall be a one (1) hour, thirty (30) minute time limit from the scheduled starting time. Atom – There shall be a one (1) hour, fifteen (15) time limit from the scheduled starting time, unless mutually agreed upon. No full inning to start after the time limit expires (official time to be determined by umpire).
3. All games are to consist of seven (7) innings, however, if weather or darkness intervenes, four and one half (4 1/2) innings (if home team is ahead), or five (5) innings (if home team is losing or tied) must be completed to constitute a game, excluding Atom and Mite divisions. Time limit supersedes any of these conditions.
4. If a game is tied at the end of seven (7) complete innings, extra innings will be played to determine the winner. If weather, darkness, or curfew intervenes, teams will be awarded one point each.
5. A rained out game will be played some evening or day prior to the end of the regular schedule mutually agreeable to the centre contacts, but as soon as possible after the rain out. The Umpire In Chief must be informed of any re-scheduled games.
6. Any games scheduled for a holiday weekend, which are not played, must be played prior to the end of the regular schedule on a date mutually agreeable to the centre contacts, but as soon as possible after postponement.
7. Postponed and Rescheduled Games:
a. A game may be postponed only for a valid reason, or at the discretion of the centre contacts. If team coaches agree to postpone or re-schedule games, centre contacts must be told twenty-four (24) hours in advance in order to notify the Umpire-In-Chief.
b. In case of rain, the home team will call the other team and the Centre Contacts by 5:00 p.m. to cancel night games and by 8:30 a.m. on Saturday.
c. Centre Contacts will decide on the re-scheduling of a game in the event the teams can not agree on a mutually acceptable date.
8. If a team has only eight (8) players and the opposing team has eight or more players, the game will be played and points counted.
9. If a team has less than 8 players, they will be permitted to seek players from a lower classification team. Should a team not be able to secure lower class players they have the option of a lateral move from the same age division of no more than 2 players. In the instance of lateral moves those players cannot assume the role of pitcher. Lateral moves cannot be duplicated until all players on rosters have had the opportunity to cover for another team. All changes and substitutions must be reported to the Centre Contact in order to monitor team activity. Lateral moves ARE NOT permitted during playoffs. At the discretion of the Centre Contact playoff games may be re-scheduled rather than forfeited.
10. Center Contacts are allowed to balance teams at his/her discretion until 1 July.
11. Centre Contacts may, at his/her discretion, move a player showing marked improvement into the next higher division. This will be allowed until 1 July.
12. Players are permitted to use ball gloves of their own choice anywhere on the field. (i.e. Trappers are allowed anywhere in the field).
13. Rubber spikes and/or running shoes are required in all games. No metal spikes, crocs, or sandals are permitted on the playing field. This includes coaches and parent volunteers.
14. All batters must wear helmets that are CSA approved and face guards are required while at bat, on the bases, or warming up a pitcher, with chin straps properly attached under the chin. Players who are coaching must wear helmets while in the coaching boxes. Any parent, coach or player warming up a pitcher is required to meet the helmet requirements or wear a catcher’s mask.
15. Players must wear Legion or affiliate issued uniforms to be eligible to play.
16. Equipment must be returned to the Centre Contacts at the end of the playing season.
17. All scores are to be turned into the Centre Contact within 24 hours of played game.
18. Coaches must control players and parents during the game to the best of their ability and discourage them from criticizing umpires and their decisions. PLEASE REFER TO ZERO TOLERANCE POLICY.
19. Alcohol and abusive language will not be tolerated at practices and games.
20. As per Ontario law Tobacco Products are not permitted on or around dugouts or any area where players are playing or practicing. Please be aware of boundaries as they relate to the laws.
21. In Squirt, Peewee, Bantam, and Midget divisions, base runners may lead off once the ball has left the Pitcher’s hand and may steal bases. Stealing of home is permitted only in Peewee, Bantam and Midget divisions. Squirt players can steal home after June 15th ONLY.
22. In Atom, Mite, Squirt, Peewee, Bantam, and Midget divisions, all the players will bat. If any player is unable to continue in the game due to an injury, the name will be scratched from the line-up and the following batter will bat, with no out counted. Should a player vacate his/her spot for any other reason it will be counted as an out. If less than 8 players are left for any reason the game is considered over. No players can be added to the batting order after the complete batting order has been run through.
23. All players must be played equally both offensively and defensively in a position in every game in which they appear. Unlimited substitutions in all divisions. All players will bat in the order that they appear on the score sheet.
24. Any batter throwing the bat will be called out. The play will be considered dead and the runners will return to previous bases occupied.
25. It is required that scorekeepers keep both teams’ scores in case of discrepancies.
26. A five (5) run maximum will apply to each half inning in the Atom, Mite, Squirt, Peewee, Bantam, and Midget divisions. After five (5) runs have been scored by the batting team, the scorer for that team will notify the umpire, who will declare that the half inning is over. Even if a sixth or seventh run is scored on the same play as the fifth, only five (5) runs shall be scored.
a. OASA pitching rules apply.
b. In Mite and Squirt divisions, a player may only pitch a maximum of three (3) innings in one game. In Peewee, Bantam, and Midget divisions, a player may only pitch a maximum of four (4) innings per game. If a player pitches any part of an inning, this is to be counted as one of their innings pitched.
c. Any player playing down and being over age in that division will not be allowed to pitch. The sole exception will be at the Peewee, Bantam, Midget division that will review pitcher eligibility. At these levels OASA pitchers will not be allowed to pitch although, with the consent of the majority of coaches at said level, all other players will be deemed eligible.
d. Recognized Rep Level pitchers are not permitted to pitch during house league games. Exceptions may be made, upon consultation with the CLMSO Executive and Centre Contacts for those players who are playing at a higher level of house league.
In a combined age division distance is defaulted to the lower age bracket.
OASA Rule Exceptions
1. Squirt players can steal home after June 11th ONLY.
1. No bunting.
2. If catcher drops third strike, batter is automatically out.
3. No stealing of bases.
4. Pitchers can pitch a maximum of 3 innings in a game.
5. No walks will be issued.
a. If a pitcher gets four (4) balls on a batter, an adult (from the batting team) will come in to pitch until the ball is either hit or the batter strikes out (strike count resumes where pitcher left off). Maximum 3 pitches from the adult.
b. A batter will be awarded first base if they are struck with a pitched ball from the pitcher only. A batter will not be awarded a base if they are struck by an adult’s pitch.
c. When an adult comes in to relieve the pitcher, the pitcher will be positioned on the infield. Their field position will be on either side of the adult, at a distance from the plate approximately equal to that of the pitching rubber. Adult must have one foot on pitching rubber when releasing the ball.
d. If the ball goes live a deliberate touch of the ball by an adult will be deemed an out for the batter. Should the ball accidently strike or hit the adult the play will be deemed live.
6. An overthrow at first base or any base (out of bounds) will result in the batter and runners being each awarded only one base. This means that if the batter has not yet reached first base at the time of the throw, the batter will be awarded first base.
7. Defensive coaches are not allowed on the field.
1. No bunting.
2. Coaches will pitch to their own team. At the pitching distance as outlined at 20-25 feet. Each player is allowed a maximum of five (5) pitches. Adult must have one foot on pitching rubber when releasing the ball. Should the batter not be successful after first three pitches, they will have the option of 2 more pitches or 2 attempts at hitting the ball from a tee.
3. Pitcher(coach) must attempt to get out of the way and may not make any attempt whatsoever to field the ball. If the ball goes live a deliberate touch of the ball by an adult will be deemed an out for the batter. Should the ball accidently strike or hit the adult the play will be deemed live.
4. A team may not send up more than nine (9) batters in one inning or score more than 5 runs. This rule will be revisited by Centre Contacts and the League on July 1st of each year. When the ninth batter hits the ball, the half inning may be brought to an end by returning the ball to home plate. Bases will not be awarded by any player being hit by a pitch. Atom innings will be played 5 runs or 3 out as in all other divisions.
5. First, second, and third base defense players must stay within a ten foot radius of the bases until the ball is hit.
6. Outfielders must not enter the infield until the ball is hit.
7. An overthrow at first base (out of bounds) will result in the batter and runners being each awarded only one base. This means that if the batter has not yet reached first base at the time of the throw, the batter will be awarded first base.
8. In the outfield five (5) fielders are allowed.
9. The infield fly rule does not apply.
10. The play is considered dead when the ball has been returned from the outfield to an infield player.
11. Coaches are allowed on the playing field during the game to direct the play. Two (2) defensive coaches are allowed in the field of play and offensive coaches are restricted to the coaches’ boxes during the play.
12. No coach or adult may interfere with the progression of play. If the ball goes live a deliberate touch of the ball by an adult will be deemed an out for the batter. Should the ball accidently strike or hit the adult the play will be deemed live.